top of page

The birth story of baby Cruze

Read below for the lovely mums story of events.

On this day, 1 year ago...

By now I'd been in what I suspected was early labour since around 2pm. Thought I had a slow leak of my waters. I was 13 days over due and I was desperate to avoid being induced the following morning. It was also the Super Rugby finals night, feat. The Hurricanes (yeah boy!) :D

I'd spent much of the afternoon just walking around the house, double checking the bags were packed and ready about 50 times. Because I knew in my heart, that tonight was going to be the night (a prediction I called on semi-finals night that if the Canes made the final, baby would come on the final).

At 5:30, I eagerly text my midwife with the news that I was fairly certain we were ready to get moving, but she assured me the time wasn't right yet (contractions were still too far apart for her liking). Instead she told me to go jump in the bath. As soon as I hopped in the water, I instantly began to rue her call- all my wonderful contractions STOPPED. Just dead. Like nothing, nada, el zippo. Soaked in the bath till my fingers pruned up, hoping like crazy that my body would get moving again. It didn't. The disappointment was real! That was until I'd toweled myself off, within 5 minutes of stepping out of the bath, BANG, it was all go. Standing up straight was near impossible, and my only solace was crawling around on all fours. It was then that we all knew this was the time- he was FINALLY COMING!!! We got the green light to make our way into Wellington when we were ready.

As strong as the contractions were, I was surprisingly calm, and quite happy to assume my position on the floor as I watched the game (which by this point, had started). I was in no rush to go anywhere, I was watching game mate haha.

The car ride in was uncomfortable, but I was Warrior Mum Queen- I got this!

Fast forward to 8:30, we were in the delivery suite (quite possibly the nicest one too I might add!), and we'd asked the midwife to have a quick check to see how far along I was. I had a birth photographer coming too and needed to give her a heads up as to when to make her way in.

As the midwife is having a feel around "Baby's head is nice and low- he's got lots of hair! Someone needs to call the photographer now because once I break these waters, there's nothing stopping this baby coming. You're 9cms and good to go!!!!!" (At which point I was so proud- I'd done all the hard yakka of labour, at home, drug free!!)

As I'd chosen a water birth, by now the pool had fillled up nicely and it was just a small matter of peeling myself off the floor and getting in. And honestly, I didn't think I was going to make it, could have quite happliy stayed on that floor haha. Had some help getting in and the sense of relief as my body hit the water was nothing short of PURE BLISS. The pain melted away, and I quite comfortably spent the next 15 minutes or so, birthing my baby boy into the world <3

Cruze Edward Joseph 06-08-2016 9:28pm 4.68kgs (10pound 5ounces) 59cms


Happy 1st Birthday little man xx

bottom of page